Climate Accelerator - Cambridge & Peterborough
In partnership with the EIT Climate KIC, Allia Future Business Centre offers climate tech founders the opportunity to develop their start-ups businesses and tackle the critical mission of the climate crisis.
We’re seeking technical, social, environmental or financial based start-ups looking to unlock the potential of a zero-carbon economy, build resilience against climate chaos, and contribute to the urgent draw-down of CO2. This programme will ramp up ambition, build skills and make meaningful connections to a global network of investors, mentors, supporters and partners.
The accelerator experience is a process of intense, rapid, and immersive education aimed at accelerating the life cycle of young innovative companies, compressing years’ worth of learning-by-doing into just a few months.
- We support start-ups to deliver climate positive impact at scale.
- We serve high-demand and high-impact themes focusing on unlocking innovation for mitigating and adapting to climate change.
The problem is complex and urgent. The solution needs to be robust and rapid. If you have a solution that is validated and demonstrates potential for scalable impact, be it in carbon removal, adaptation, an enabling technology or a relevant social or environmental enterprise, apply now to join the first UK cohort in January 2022.
Lets unleash the innovation potential of start-ups to shape a clean and just future.
Accelerate through collaboration, sharing best practice and benchmarking with climate-tech peers
6 Months of intensive workshops, coaching, mentoring & support to take you to the next level
Tools and methodology in estimating and validating your climate impact
Mentorship & coaching by industry veterans and experts, with a world-wide network of industry, education and research partners
Nomination to the International Climate KIC Marketplace of start-ups ecosystems and relevant investors
An end-of-programme pitch day to UK investors, plus invitations to international demo days, investor dinners and bespoke events
The Climate Accelerator programme will focus on building a launchpad for scaling your business, identifying and quantifying impact, building an evidence base for investors and stakeholders, testing and iterating on commercial hypotheses, product development, and going to market. We will recap on all the basics of company building whilst testing assumptions, increasing ambitions, and ensuring a good market fit. We will dive into the commercial prospects, lean product development and the important aspects of getting to market. Financials will be scrutinised, ensuring strong capabilities for growth and an attractive investment strategy to put proverbial rocket fuel into the business. Time is also spent on leadership qualities, preventing burnout, recruiting and establishing effective teams to enable scale.
A series of workshops (approx. 50 hours over 6 months) will bring you expert led content and the tools and processes needed to build and polish the business. With regular coaching sessions that will set targets and keep you on track. Our network of mentors will bring industry expertise and guide you through your journey.
In addition to the formal structure of the programme, you will work with your peers to benchmark and share best practice over informal networking and discussion sessions, supporting each other in navigating this challenge together.
Founders operating in, living in, or able to occasionally travel to Cambridge. Due to our funding structure, ventures outside of this area who are keen to join a programme can contact us for referrals into the Climate KIC network or to hold a place for future cohorts that may be more geographically spread.
Innovative entrepreneurs looking to develop and scale up their business
Early-stage businesses and validated start-ups with a focus on the following areas: net zero enablers, carbon removal (either natural or technological solutions) or social, environmental or financial solutions to halt scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions worldwide.
Sectors include the built environment, smart cities and transport, food, water, energy, materials and circular economy. Adaptation and sequestration, natural solutions and technological innovations. We are also interested in innovative approaches to halt biodiversity decline, water crisis management and human migration challenges, as all relevant and connected to the climate crisis.
A real potential to generate jobs, growth and opportunities in the UK (although the impact could benefit anywhere in the world).
The important bits:
- Applications are now closed.
- Our applications work on a rolling basis – please apply now for the Climate Accelerator programme that will start on 10th January 2022. The deadline is 28 November 2021. Any applications received after this date will be considered for future Accelerators.
- Founders will be interviewed by video conference throughout November and places awarded on the programme by Friday 10th December.
- The programme will run from Monday 10th January 2022 until end-June 2022.
- The programme is free to attend and will not take equity or any stake in your business. However, we do ask for data at the start, midway and at the end of the programme, and occasionally for the following year, for our own reporting against the funds that enable this programme to be delivered for free. Agreeing to provide this data is the condition upon entry. (Data includes jobs created, new products and services launched, money raised and performance against your own bespoke impact metrics).
- This programme runs as a hybrid model with some sessions online and some in-person sessions at the Future Business Centre, Cambridge.
- At a halfway point in the programme, the Allia team and coaches will determine whether the participating venture should proceed through the workshops, or step back from the programme to focus on developing the business foundations. Ventures leaving the programme at this half-way milestone will continue to have access to ongoing support, and will be encouraged to join a subsequent programme in future.
Applications for this programme are now closed. If you are interested in applying for our next cohort, finding out more about our other business support programmes, please register your interest below or sign up to our newsletter here.
Allia and EIT Climate-KIC have partnered together to unlock the potential of climate focused start-ups in the UK. Allia firmly believes in the power of collaboration and as such has partnered with the EU’s main climate innovation initiative in order to build on a growing movement across the world to save our planet. Allia’s rich history of tailored venture support and work across social enterprise builds on the knowledge and expertise of the EIT Climate KIC community to launch the Climate Accelerator programme. Starting just after COP26, we believe it is critical to build on this momentum so that society does not sit idly by during this global emergency.
We have also partnered with a number of relevant organisations to assist with programme delivery, mentorship, investment opportunities and broader network connections for our founders.
The Climate Accelerator programme in Cambridge is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.